Spoiler Things
Welcome to the Spoiler Things forum!

Guests have only limited access to various forums on the site. Please login or register for complete access and posting privileges. Then then settle in and enjoy!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Spoiler Things
Welcome to the Spoiler Things forum!

Guests have only limited access to various forums on the site. Please login or register for complete access and posting privileges. Then then settle in and enjoy!
Spoiler Things
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» David Harbour
Handmaids Tale - General Discussion EmptyTue Oct 15, 2019 5:35 am by hoogie

» Stranger Things Season 3 Final Trailer
Handmaids Tale - General Discussion EmptyFri Jul 05, 2019 11:15 am by DamnGoodBabysitter

» Dark Horse Comics 'Stranger Things' Discussion
Handmaids Tale - General Discussion EmptyWed Apr 10, 2019 5:36 am by hoogie

» STRANGER THINGS 3's Biggest Mystery Is Hiding in D&D
Handmaids Tale - General Discussion EmptyTue Apr 09, 2019 11:08 am by LastSummersSweetheart

» Exclusive: David Harbour knows how Stranger Things ends and says it's "beautiful"
Handmaids Tale - General Discussion EmptyMon Apr 08, 2019 5:49 pm by LastSummersSweetheart

» The OA Discussion
Handmaids Tale - General Discussion EmptyFri Mar 22, 2019 8:40 pm by LastSummersSweetheart

» Season 3 Official Trailer
Handmaids Tale - General Discussion EmptyFri Mar 22, 2019 5:34 am by hoogie

» Stranger Things Cast on S3
Handmaids Tale - General Discussion EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 9:27 am by Mike Wheeler

» Mad Max (Maxine Mayfield)
Handmaids Tale - General Discussion EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 7:19 pm by LastSummersSweetheart

Staff Online Now

Friends List

Handmaids Tale - General Discussion

+4
mrstrange
NerdyGirl
Alabama
Steve Harrington
8 posters

Go down

Handmaids Tale - General Discussion Empty Handmaids Tale - General Discussion

Post by Steve Harrington Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:19 am

Handmaids Tale - General Discussion 7643_the-handmaids-tale-lrg

General discussion and topics about Handmaid's Tale a Hulu original.

Last edited by NerdyGirl on Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:52 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Added photo :))
Steve Harrington
Steve Harrington
Content Team

Back to top Go down

Handmaids Tale - General Discussion Empty Re: Handmaids Tale - General Discussion

Post by Alabama Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:21 pm

Alabama
Alabama
Spoiler Team

Back to top Go down

Handmaids Tale - General Discussion Empty Season 1 General Discussion Thread

Post by Alabama Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:14 pm

Handmaids Tale - General Discussion 28927

Based on the best-selling novel by Margaret Atwood, this series is set in Gilead, a totalitarian society in what used to be part of the United States. Gilead is ruled by a fundamentalist regime that treats women as property of the state, and is faced with environmental disasters and a plummeting birth rate. In a desperate attempt to repopulate a devastated world, the few remaining fertile women are forced into sexual servitude. One of these women, Offred, is determined to survive the terrifying world she lives in, and find the daughter that was taken from her.

First episode date: April 26, 2017
Network: Hulu
Author: Margaret Atwood
Production locations: Toronto, Hamilton, Cambridge

How much did you love this show? Did it take you awhile to get into it? Have you re-watched it? Would you have changed anything in the debut season?
Alabama
Alabama
Spoiler Team

Back to top Go down

Handmaids Tale - General Discussion Empty Re: Handmaids Tale - General Discussion

Post by NerdyGirl Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:22 pm

Guess who caved and got Hulu
NerdyGirl
NerdyGirl
Content Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Alabama Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:03 pm

Get on it!!
Alabama
Alabama
Spoiler Team

Back to top Go down

Post by NerdyGirl Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:18 am

im on episode 4 and this show is intense. maybe on of the most intense and disturbing shows ive ever watched. 

I really love it and am completely hooked but some of the moments of this show are disturbing. 

I will post more after I complete the season but I have some questions if anyone can answer them

ok I was watching this episode where Ofglen and June were walking and some guy just got scooped up off the street by the police/military…..I was confused because Im not sure I understand how this system works. 

I get about the women - how they are "classified" etc but I dont understand how they determine what the men will do….like obviously the "faithful" are high ranking members of society etc but ….like how does it get decided that someone like Nick can be a driver….or like what do these guys get in trouble for? 

Can someone like nick have a wife if he wanted to? how to the men pick their wives? 

I am still trying to understand the system a little
NerdyGirl
NerdyGirl
Content Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Alabama Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:39 pm

I wish I knew Nick's rules - seems to have some leeway for sure
Alabama
Alabama
Spoiler Team

Back to top Go down

Post by NerdyGirl Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:15 pm

Alabama wrote:I wish I knew Nick's rules - seems to have some leeway for sure
I want to read the novel now lol
NerdyGirl
NerdyGirl
Content Team

Back to top Go down

Post by NerdyGirl Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:02 pm

about to watch the last episode later tonight or tomorrow Smile
NerdyGirl
NerdyGirl
Content Team

Back to top Go down

Post by mrstrange Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:42 pm

read the book in High School so was looking forward to watching! Just started and up to S1 Ep5 so far really liking it, I like the flashbacks that are included, something that I think would be cool in TWD
mrstrange
mrstrange

Back to top Go down

Post by LastSummersSweetheart Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:57 pm

Just finishing 2-01.  Outstanding start to the 2nd season.  Had me holding my breath.
LastSummersSweetheart
LastSummersSweetheart
Content Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ysolde Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:46 pm

In the novel, some things are made clear, some things are opaque, and some things are only made (somewhat) clearer in an epilogue that takes place at an academic conference about 150 years after the events.  

IIRC, events here are taking place early in the Republic of Gilead (note how we see flashbacks of Luke watching coverage of the "terrorist" attack on Congress, and, in season 1, flashbacks of a much more joyful -- and sexual -- Serena as a graduate student, enjoying her time writing her dissertation and being quite different in her interactions with Fred; we also see flashbacks of June working as a book editor -- slightly different from the novel).  All to say that these are the early days of Gilead.  The marriages are pretty much pre-exisitng.  Marriages such as June's were voided by the state, at first because they were the product of adulterous relationships, because one or both parties had been married before, and, finally, because the marriage had not been performed before the one and only state-sanctioned church.  Once all of those marriages were invalidated, those children (like June's) became available to be adopted (their parents suddenly deemed immoral and unfit) and the mothers (if still fertile) available for the Handmaid program.

There were other aspects: women were not allowed to read/write.  Nor could they own property or have bank accounts.  They had lost the right to jobs long since.  It had been a slow erosion of women's rights (and other group's rights).

Nick makes everyone a bit nervous: as a chauffeur, he is is presumed to be an Eye (spy), and therefore no one, not the Commander, not Serena, not the household staff, knows where his loyalties lie.  Over time, June comes to suspect Nick may be a member of the Mayday resistance, but she realizes she has to trust him because her options are so limited.
ysolde
ysolde

Back to top Go down

Post by dmh9597 Thu May 03, 2018 9:33 pm

Just finished 2.04 and I have a theory.  Are we free to discuss speculation on this thread or is it not allowed because people might not be caught up?
dmh9597
dmh9597

Back to top Go down

Post by LastSummersSweetheart Sun May 20, 2018 8:56 pm

Am watching "Seeds" .  I can't even with how good this season is if something so bleak can be good. 

I have to say as well, the way silence, music and sound effects are used on this show is incredible.
LastSummersSweetheart
LastSummersSweetheart
Content Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ysolde Mon May 21, 2018 8:26 am

LastSummersSweetheart wrote:Am watching "Seeds" .  I can't even with how good this season is if something so bleak can be good. 

I have to say as well, the way silence, music and sound effects are used on this show is incredible.
I have to agree that silence, in particular, has been used to great effect this season.

I am also fascinated (and horrified) by Serena.  The frustration and anger that lie just beneath the ice princess surface are enough to scare the shit out of anyone.  But the sadness that is patently obvious when she explains the role of sexuality within marriage to Nick's new young wife was (almost) enough to make me feel sorry for her in that moment.  Serena has these small, maternal instincts beneath her Hitchcockian ice princess exterior -- those moments of small kindness are terrifying to me, for some reason.
ysolde
ysolde

Back to top Go down

Post by NerdyGirl Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:24 am

I finally brought myself around to trying to finish the season. I am watching E10 and I legit have not stopped crying. The scene with poor June killed me but even another thing I cant stop thinking about is how everyone (reading comments on social media sites - no one on this site) assumed that Eden was going to be some awful person and to me she doesnt seem that way at all. She is just a freaking KID! ok I need to finish the episode now lol
NerdyGirl
NerdyGirl
Content Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Wheeler Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:41 pm

I need to watch this one still.  Getting through Winona Earp atm
Mike Wheeler
Mike Wheeler
Forum Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down